Physically demanding jobs are tough. The wear and tear on the body, the repetitive motions and the constant exertion of physical energy can make even the strongest person weary. Sometimes it is difficult to decompress and relax at the end of the day because your muscles are tense, your body aches and your mind is still processing the experiences of that workday.
How Workplace Drug Use Begins
In order to cope with the physical demands and the stressors of your job, you might be tempted to turn to substances like opiates to unwind, relax and feel better after a long, arduous day. The term opiates refers to a group of drugs; all of which contain opium. Opium is derived naturally from the poppy seed or is made synthetically in a laboratory. The most common types of opiates include morphine, codeine, heroin, hydrocodone and oxycodone.
Initially, a doctor may prescribe you an opiate-based medication like hydrocodone or oxycodone to manage a work-related injury, such as lower back pain or an injured knee. Some people can take these drugs and not become addicted to them. Others can become addicted immediately. Fortunately, there are other ways to cope with the physical demands of a job without turning to drugs as the cure. Helpful, healthy things you can do to manage a physically demanding job include the following:
- Eat healthy – Being overweight can make it more difficult to meet the demands of your job. Eating healthy gives you more energy. Shedding extra weight can also help you perform more efficiently at work.
- Exercise – By eating healthy and exercising regularly, your body becomes more fit and capable to meet the demands of your job. The healthier the body, the better performance at work.
- Strengthen your core muscle groups – Make sure that the muscles in your upper and lower back, neck, shoulders, stomach and upper thigh are strong. Talk with a trainer or physical therapist about exercises you can do to strengthen those core muscle groups.
- See a massage therapist – Regular trips to a massage therapist can relax tensed muscles and can help heal injuries. Some insurance companies will even pay for massage as a treatment for an injury.
- Sleep on a good mattress – A good mattress can provide your body with the support it needs to fully rest and recuperate from the day’s stresses. Investing in one can be a wise investment.
- Find a hobby – Engaging in an activity you enjoy releases pleasure-enhancing chemicals in the brain. A hobby will also help you take your mind off of work, which will result in a more relaxed body as well.
Things to Consider
Using opiates to manage a physically demanding job only creates more problems. If you or someone you love has become addicted to medication like opiates for a work-related injury, talk to your doctor immediately about alternative medication.
Getting Help for Your Opiate Addiction
If you or a loved one is addicted to opiates, we can help. You can call our toll-free helpline any time, 24 hours a day. You can talk with one of our professional admissions counselors who can help you determine the best course of action for your situation. Please don’t allow an opiate addiction to destroy your life. Call us today, and start on the road of recovery and a sober life.